…more of moresby :-/

DSC02641

I couldn’t help myself. Today was a sunny, lovely winter day, meaning that it’s only hot in the direct sun rather than unbearable. Immediately when I headed downtown for my usual Sunday-morning swim, I realized this was the day for taking photos, not yesterday. So, with apologies for the less-well-done shots yesterday, here are some other views of the same things, and a few new ones as well. I’ll spare you more captions, and more text. Comment or write if you want to know what anything is.

DSC02682 DSC02668 DSC02642DSC02667 DSC02643 DSC02644 DSC02647 DSC02648 DSC02649 DSC02650 DSC02652 DSC02655 DSC02657 DSC02658 DSC02659 DSC02666DSC02669 DSC02670 DSC02679 DSC02680

6 responses

1. Stephen Brockmann

You’re right, this is much more convincing! I like the big mural of people cleaning up the park! Are some the larger boats out there also fishing boats, or are they all just container ships? And what is PNG sending the rest of the world? Mostly mineral wealth? Or do the ships leave empty?

June 30, 2013 at 22:58

• PNG exports lots of mineral and other under-ground resources including the new huge LNG project expected online next year. Also fish and seafood, tea, coffee. Not as much other agriculture as you’d expect, though some parts of the country export a lot of copra, which is a coconut derivative. I expect much more comes into the country, than leaves the country, in all the various ships – but I don’t really know.

There would be fishing boats, but I’m not sure if there are very many commercial fishing trawlers that have a home port here in Moresby – I have the impression most of the commercial fishing is off the north coast, out of Lae and Madang. Lae is the largest port, principally b/c it has the road connections to more of the country including the highlands, which is the most densely populated region and reachable by road only from Lae and Madang.

July 1, 2013 at 05:37

2. Steve Dickman

You’re right, much nicer. Thank you for posting these. I was wondering about the ships too. And are there usually more pedestrians than this? Compared to other developing country capital cities I’ve been to (e.g. Delhi), the place just looks empty!

July 1, 2013 at 01:48

• Hey Steve, just replied a bit about ships on Steve B’s post. Yesterday was a quiet day, but in general there is fairly little foot traffic: people getting on and off PMVs (public motor vehicles), but here in Moresby there’s really not a lot of foot traffic in general, only in certain areas like downtown and around the stadiums and rugby pitches, etc.

July 1, 2013 at 05:39

3. Bill McCuskey

Paul, Fascinating. Thanks. Giant Lion Fish? Giant shell? Advertising worthy of Los Angeles?
    Hydro power or fossil?
    And, a favorite topic after reading Hodding Carter’s “Flushed: How the Plumber Saved Civilization”, how do they deal with clean water in and sewage out?

July 1, 2013 at 19:44

4. Thanks for posting these-it looks like a beautiful place to be spending time.
    Anne and I recently met Marianne Elliot, an Aussie whose parents were missionaries and who grew up in Port Moresby. If it weren’t for you, I would have absolutely no idea where that was!
    Hope all is well-you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are doing good work, my friend, and in some ways, you are doing it for those of us who aren’t able to (no pressure!). I speak and think of you often, and am happy to “talk up” the work of Doctors Without Borders.
    With love,