More Masks…and Many Magnificent Orchids

Orchid Show Yellow & Pink

There are orchids purple or yellow, big or small; shaped like a lady’s slipper or like a corkscrew of pasta; they hang or grow in the boles of trees more often than not. To kids growing up as I did, they are a thing of mystery from lands far away (though, in fact, there are native orchid species in North America, just not quite so showy and flashy as some their tropical cousins), and though I’ve never been tempted to grow them I do love looking at them. As I noted in my last post, the annual PNG Orchid Show was held a few weeks ago down the street from us at the House of Parliament. Enjoy this stroll through the garden – after all, can one ever have too much of such beauty in one’s life or on one’s computer screen? 🙂 Peace, out…Baby Yellow Orchids

Big White w Lavendar - Small Red

Orchids & Statue - Parlt HousePurpose & Orange Orchid

Corkscrew Orchids - Wow

DSC03240

DSC03241

Parlt Orchid PanoParlmnt House Orchid Pano

Click on an image in the gallery below to open a larger size, if you wish, which will also give you the name…and, to my chagrin, show you a few types and the fact that my fingers aren’t always confident about how to spell the adjective l a v e n d e r … but now I’ve got them posted and loaded, I am too lazy to unload them and change their names. Sorry. (Tip: to get back out of the gallery, ‘escape’ worked for me…)

DSC03237Parlt House Garden Orchen Pano

Corkscrew Orchids

DSC03239Lady Slipper Orchid Lots of Orchids Not an Orchid - Parlt Garden…and yes, there has to be one that’s not an orchid, just to ssee if you’re paying attention. I think this guy lives in the garden at parliament full-time, while most of the orchids were short-term visitors. 🙂Parliament House Orchids & Statue
Orchids White and RedPaul at Parlt House w Baby Orchids Peachy OrchidRed Orchid w Sun Statue Detail & Orchids

Yellow Orchid w Red

7 responses

1. Stephen Brockmann

Hi Paul, nice orchids! Thanks!

November 9, 2013 at 18:28

2. Rosa Auat

Thanks Paul for these wonderful pics! good to see you again in the middle of the flowers!!! kisses

November 9, 2013 at 23:18

3. Diane Rachiele

Lovely – as always!

November 10, 2013 at 00:50

4. Diane Rachiele

It is good that you can find so much beauty given the realities you deal with every day …

November 10, 2013 at 00:51

5. Bill McCuskey

Thanks for the bouquet, Paul. Unusual justaposition of faces (yes, flowers have faces ….). And maybe faces as masks. Or maybe not, at least in the case of the one human face I saw. Or maybe I have early Saturday morning OIS (over-interpretioon syndrome, a condition often attributed to study of art history, psychology, sociology, and other subjects).

November 10, 2013 at 02:06

6. Jean

Yep, lavender and calendar are problematic for those of us who think of ourselves as good spellers. Thanks for the orchid tour. My little collection in the bathroom window is a pale shadow of this wonderful display–and none of them are in bloom now.

November 12, 2013 at 09:45